This vegan crispy Korean BBQ tofu dish is one of my all time favorite recipes to make and its also gluten-free! It’s super simple and quick to toss together.
Vegans and non-vegans will love it!
I have made this a few different ways and each has come out unbelievably delicious. So here is the original version I made.
I will be updating this recipe with the modified recipes I’ve made very soon! I know a lot of you asked about it on my Instagram so I thought I would put the recipe here so you can all try it out!
1 Block(15oz.) Extra firm tofu
1/2 Cup Tomato sauce, canned
1/4 Cup Rice Wine Vinegar
1/4 Cup Soy sauce or liquid aminos
2 Tablespoons Agave syrup
2 Teaspoons Gochujang paste
1 Small Apple, finely grated
2 Cloves Garlic, finely grated
1 inch piece Fresh ginger, finely grated
1 Tablespoon Sesame seeds
1/2 Cup Corn starch
1 Teaspoon Salt
Olive Oil for frying
Scallions for serving
Rice for serving
- Start by pressing the tofu. Press the block of tofu for at least 30 minutes, the longer the better. You’ll want to get the moisture out so the tofu is crispy when you fry it. You can even do it in the morning before you plan to make it.
- Make the Korean BBQ sauce once you’ve pressed you tofu. In a medium sized mixing bowl, whisk together the tomato sauce, rice wine vinegar, soy sauce, agave, Gochujang, the finely grated apple, garlic and ginger, and the sesame seeds. Whisk until combined. Set aside.
- Take your pressed block of tofu, cut into cubes, or thinner rectangular slices. Whatever you prefer. Add the tofu to a large mixing bowl, then sprinkle with the corn starch and salt. Toss to coat all of the tofu.
- Now, heat a little bit of oil at the bottom of a non stick pan on medium high. Add the tofu to the pan, don’t over crowd it, if the pan is too small to fit all of it, do it in two batches.
- Brown the tofu on all sides, reducing heat as needed. It will take a few minutes on each side to get the tofu nice and crispy. Remove all of the tofu from the pan, place in a bowl.
- If there is any leftover oil in the pan, clean the pan before. Then return the pan to the heat and add about half of the Korean BBQ sauce. Heat on low for a minute, then add all of the tofu back to the pan.
- Toss to coat the tofu, and cook for a minute. Then remove from heat. Serve immediately with rice (add veggies if you want). Drizzle the remaining sauce over the top and garnish with scallions or chives!
Tofu Cooking Guide
If you have never worked with Gochujang before, it is a Korean chili paste, if you can’t find it, your favorite chili sauce or paste will work as well.